Tuesday 5 June 2007

Whilst perusing some Games Jobs the other day, I noticed one for a Pixel Artist. Now, I've never done anything like that before so I decided to try my hand at it.

I read up a few tutorials (namely this - by Derek Yu) and dove right in. I started with one of my sketches, shrunk it down and start pushing the pixels around to get to a point I was happy with.



It was loads of fun and I'd like to do a body to accompany it.
I've also moved onto another piece of pixel art, the caricature of myself. I'll throw it up once Im happy with it.

I could definitely see myself doing this for a job! Because you still get to start out with regular concept sketches, then move onto making them pixelified. There's just the matter of learning how to animate things.
However, when I was going through some tutorials on pixel art & animation, I noticed one for making a sprite-based fighter and it got me thinking about a game idea.

A zombie-based side scrolling beat-em up! I guess having projectile weapons would be a must, but it could be somewhat survival-horror like if the ammo was rather limited.
An interesting spin would be maybe a time-limit style, whereby you've already been bitten, but you're determined to save someone (I guess "saving the girl" is the norm in these games) or possibly retrieve some antidote from a lab? That would alleviate the problem of being bitten in the game would essentially mean game over.

Playing Streets of Rage 2 on the Wii Virtual Console the other day obviously bought back so many fond memories it has inspired me! lol

No comments: